Ancestral Author Plus 3.1.3 Release
Posted 15 Jan 2020
Updates in this release:
Added enhanced support for GEDCOMs exported from MyHeritage.com. The enhancements center mostly on interpreting HTML tags embedded in NOTE and SOURce records of exported GEDCOM, including:
- HTML links are now recognized and interpreted by AA Plus, and will appear as links in the output document,
- HTML italics, bold, underline, and paragraph tags are recognized.
The result is a better looking document that more closely preserves the HTML formatting of the text.
- Bug fixes and other minor updates.
Development Projects Currently Underway
Expect to see these features in an upcoming release:
- Better support for importing images into a document.
- Enhancements to Every Person reports.
- Performance improvements.
We place high priority on user requests, so if you have ideas about what you want, and are willing to work out the details with us, please send us an email (see the contact page).
Ancestral Author Plus 3.1.2 Release
Posted 21 Dec 2019
Updates in this release:
- Support has been added for reports that include every person in the GEDCOM. This is an easy way to capture all the information in a GEDCOM into a single report.
- Dragging a GEDCOM file onto the Ancestral Author Plus desktop icon now generates a report that automatically includes every person in the GEDCOM. Prior to this release, the report included only the descendants of the person with the most progeny.
Headings in PDF reports are now much less likely to be stranded at the bottom of a page. In previous versions of Ancestral Author Plus, headings were occassionally emitted at the bottom of the page, with subsequent text starting at the top of the next page. This looks odd, and makes it difficult to see the relationship between the heading and related text. The Ancestral Author Plus PDF generator now employs special algorithms to prevent this from happening. Also, similar algorithms are implemented in LibreOffice and OpenOffice to prevent the stranding of headings.
Note that headings include offspring and note prefaces, such as
"Children of John Doe and Mary Smith:"
"Notes for Mary Smith:"
In addition, headings include the standard Level 1 through 3 headings that can be inserted directly into a document via the AA Plus user interface.
- Multiple usability improvements, including the ability to retry if Ancestral Author Plus cannot write an output report because the user is viewing it in LibreOffice, OpenOffice, or a PDF viewer. It is no longer necessary to completely regenerate the report.
- Numerous bug fixes.
Ancestral Author Plus 3.1.1 Release (PDF Support for Drag and Drop)
Posted 25 Oct 2019
New features and bug fixes:
- Ancestral Author Plus now generates PDF files
by default during drag and drop - when a
GEDCOM file is dragged onto the Ancestral
Author Plus desktop icon.
To cause Output Document Text files to be generated, open Ancestral Author Plus, select menu item "Script - Preferences - Cause Drag And Drop To Generate ODT".
To switch back, select menu item "Script - Preferences - Cause Drag And Drop To Generate PDF".
- Fixed a bug related to selecting predefined Output Document Format files. Any choice other than the default would cause errors after pushing the 'Create PDF' or 'Create ODT' buttons.
- Fixed several other bugs relating to GEDCOM drag and drop.
Ancestral Author Plus 3.1.0 Release (PDF Support)
Posted 23 Oct 2019
New features and bug fixes:
- Author Plus now supports direct PDF generation, in addition to Open Document Text (ODT) format. Simply press the Create PDF button to create a PDF document, viewable with the Adobe Acrobat PDF reader; or press the Create ODT button to create an Open Document Text document, viewable and editable with LibreOffice or OpenOffice. To view PDF files, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader or some other PDF viewer installed. To view and edit ODT files, you will need to have LibreOffice or OpenOffice installed.
- Improved the GEDCOM reader so that it is more tolerant of common GEDCOM errors.
- Fixed several bugs.
Ancestral Author Plus 3.0.14 Release
Posted 13 August 2019
New features and bug fixes:
- Ancestor reports now include hyperlinks to the spouses. In previous versions of Ancestral Author Plus, spouses in an ancestor report were not hyperlinked.
- Ancestor reports no longer include vital information (birth, death, etc) for a spouse, since the text for the spouse is already included elsewhere. To illustrate the point: in previous versions, Ancestor report entries would have looked like this (with spousal information in italics duplicated):2. John Doe was born 1 Jan 1901. He married Jane Smith 18 Apr 1923 in Hartford, CT. Jane Smith was born 17 Dec 1903 in Hartford, CT.
3. Jane Smith was born 17 Dec 1903 in Hartford, CT. She married John Doe 18 Apr 1923 in Hartford, CT. John Doe was born 1 Jan 1901.
Starting in release 3.0.14, the report would look like this (without spousal information duplicated):2. John Doe was born 1 Jan 1901. He married Jane Smith 18 Apr 1923 in Hartford, CT.
3. Jane Smith was born 17 Dec 1903 in Hartford, CT. She married John Doe 18 Apr 1923 in Hartford, CT.
NOTE: The spousal information is included if the spouse does not appear elsewhere in the Ancestor report. This happens frequently when an individual in the direct ancestral line marries more than once.
- The appearance of hyperlinks within the document has been modified (improved) to mimic the appearance of hyperlinks in AA Classic. With this change, hyperlinked documents can be printed in black and white, rendering the hyperlinks invisible in the printed document. Prior to this change, any printed document produced by Ancestral Author Plus had hyperlinked names underlined - which is not very useful on the printed page, and would look a little strange.
- A bug has been fixed that caused extra punctuation to appear in some source citations.
- Another bug was fixed that caused children to be listed too close together in an Ancestor or Descendant report. In the list of children for a couple, children would appear on a line immediatly after the previous child, making it difficult to distinguish one child from another at a glance. With this release, a little extra spacing has been added between children, making it easier to distinguish one child from another.
- A few minor graphical user interface bugs have been fixed.
- Note that Ancestral Author 3.0.13 was never released. Most of the work in AA 3.0.13 was related to software infrastructure and porting to new development environments - changes not visible to users.
Ancestral Author Plus 3.0.12 Released
Posted 13 March 2019
Fixed a bug that caused register numbers in a descendant report to appear out of order when the global date sorting option was enabled.
Ancestral Author Plus 3.0.11 Released
Posted 9 March 2019
Several new features and a few bug fixes have been added to Ancestral Author Plus:
- Added support for altnerate birth, baptism, christening, marriage, death, and burial events. These can be output as a list of alternate dates after the primary (i.e. first) date, or as separate sentences. See descendant, ancestor options dialogs, 'Output' tab.
- Added support for PROP GEDCOM tag (see descendant, ancestor options dialogs, 'GEDCOM' tab).
- Implemented support for angle brackets in titles and headings.
- Fixed a bug in the GEDCOM browser - it now respects CONC, CONT user settings specified in the descendant and ancestor report options dialog. Extra blanks, and run-together words should no longer appear.
- Implement more graceful handling of unmatched, unrecognized, and illegal XML tags that appear in GEDCOM notes, sources, events, and other contexts. For example, an improperly closed list item tag, <li>, should no longer result in garbled text in the output document.
- Fixed several other bugs to improve stability and performance.
Ancestral Author Plus 3.0.10 Released
Posted 12 January 2019
The following changes have been made to Ancestral Author Plus:
- Generation headings are now supported in both Ancestor and Descendant reports. These headings are placed before each new generation in the report.
Generation Number 1
There are options to place the heading in the table of contents (or not), and force a page break before each generation heading, so that each generation is started on a new page. The actual text of the generation heading can be modified by selecting the 'Phrases' menu item. The font and point size can be changed by pressing the 'Options' button on the main dialog.
- A few minor bugs have been fixed.