Ancestral Author Plus 3.1.1 Release (PDF Support for Drag and Drop)
Posted 25 Oct 2019
New features and bug fixes:
- Ancestral Author Plus now generates PDF files
by default during drag and drop - when a
GEDCOM file is dragged onto the Ancestral
Author Plus desktop icon.
To cause Output Document Text files to be generated, open Ancestral Author Plus, select menu item "Script - Preferences - Cause Drag And Drop To Generate ODT".
To switch back, select menu item "Script - Preferences - Cause Drag And Drop To Generate PDF".
- Fixed a bug related to selecting predefined Output Document Format files. Any choice other than the default would cause errors after pushing the 'Create PDF' or 'Create ODT' buttons.
- Fixed several other bugs relating to GEDCOM drag and drop.
Development Projects Currently Underway
Expect to see these features in an upcoming release:
- Better support for importing images into a document.
- Enhancements to the PDF generation capabilities.
- Everyperson Reports that include all individuals in the GEDCOM, in a family group sheet style presentation.
We place high priority on user requests, so if you have ideas about what you want, and are willing to work out the details with us, please send us an email (see the contact page).
Ancestral Author Plus 3.1.0 Release (PDF Support)
Posted 23 Oct 2019
New features and bug fixes:
- Author Plus now supports direct PDF generation, in addition to Open Document Text (ODT) format. Simply press the Create PDF button to create a PDF document, viewable with the Adobe Acrobat PDF reader; or press the Create ODT button to create an Open Document Text document, viewable and editable with LibreOffice or OpenOffice. To view PDF files, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader or some other PDF viewer installed. To view and edit ODT files, you will need to have LibreOffice or OpenOffice installed.
- Improved the GEDCOM reader so that it is more tolerant of common GEDCOM errors.
- Fixed several bugs.
Ancestral Author Plus 3.0.14 Release
Posted 13 August 2019
New features and bug fixes:
- Ancestor reports now include hyperlinks to the spouses. In previous versions of Ancestral Author Plus, spouses in an ancestor report were not hyperlinked.
- Ancestor reports no longer include vital information (birth, death, etc) for a spouse, since the text for the spouse is already included elsewhere. To illustrate the point: in previous versions, Ancestor report entries would have looked like this (with spousal information in italics duplicated):2. John Doe was born 1 Jan 1901. He married Jane Smith 18 Apr 1923 in Hartford, CT. Jane Smith was born 17 Dec 1903 in Hartford, CT.
3. Jane Smith was born 17 Dec 1903 in Hartford, CT. She married John Doe 18 Apr 1923 in Hartford, CT. John Doe was born 1 Jan 1901.
Starting in release 3.0.14, the report would look like this (without spousal information duplicated):2. John Doe was born 1 Jan 1901. He married Jane Smith 18 Apr 1923 in Hartford, CT.
3. Jane Smith was born 17 Dec 1903 in Hartford, CT. She married John Doe 18 Apr 1923 in Hartford, CT.
NOTE: The spousal information is included if the spouse does not appear elsewhere in the Ancestor report. This happens frequently when an individual in the direct ancestral line marries more than once.
- The appearance of hyperlinks within the document has been modified (improved) to mimic the appearance of hyperlinks in AA Classic. With this change, hyperlinked documents can be printed in black and white, rendering the hyperlinks invisible in the printed document. Prior to this change, any printed document produced by Ancestral Author Plus had hyperlinked names underlined - which is not very useful on the printed page, and would look a little strange.
- A bug has been fixed that caused extra punctuation to appear in some source citations.
- Another bug was fixed that caused children to be listed too close together in an Ancestor or Descendant report. In the list of children for a couple, children would appear on a line immediatly after the previous child, making it difficult to distinguish one child from another at a glance. With this release, a little extra spacing has been added between children, making it easier to distinguish one child from another.
- A few minor graphical user interface bugs have been fixed.
- Note that Ancestral Author 3.0.13 was never released. Most of the work in AA 3.0.13 was related to software infrastructure and porting to new development environments - changes not visible to users.
Ancestral Author Plus 3.0.12 Released
Posted 13 March 2019
Fixed a bug that caused register numbers in a descendant report to appear out of order when the global date sorting option was enabled.
Ancestral Author Plus 3.0.11 Released
Posted 9 March 2019
Several new features and a few bug fixes have been added to Ancestral Author Plus:
- Added support for altnerate birth, baptism, christening, marriage, death, and burial events. These can be output as a list of alternate dates after the primary (i.e. first) date, or as separate sentences. See descendant, ancestor options dialogs, 'Output' tab.
- Added support for PROP GEDCOM tag (see descendant, ancestor options dialogs, 'GEDCOM' tab).
- Implemented support for angle brackets in titles and headings.
- Fixed a bug in the GEDCOM browser - it now respects CONC, CONT user settings specified in the descendant and ancestor report options dialog. Extra blanks, and run-together words should no longer appear.
- Implement more graceful handling of unmatched, unrecognized, and illegal XML tags that appear in GEDCOM notes, sources, events, and other contexts. For example, an improperly closed list item tag, <li>, should no longer result in garbled text in the output document.
- Fixed several other bugs to improve stability and performance.
Ancestral Author Plus 3.0.10 Released
Posted 12 January 2019
The following changes have been made to Ancestral Author Plus:
- Generation headings are now supported in both Ancestor and Descendant reports. These headings are placed before each new generation in the report.
Generation Number 1
There are options to place the heading in the table of contents (or not), and force a page break before each generation heading, so that each generation is started on a new page. The actual text of the generation heading can be modified by selecting the 'Phrases' menu item. The font and point size can be changed by pressing the 'Options' button on the main dialog.
- A few minor bugs have been fixed.